Ranked as the most important Zen Buddhist temple in Kamakura, Kencho-ji was completed in 1273 and at one point boasted 49 sub-temples. Many of these were lost to fire in the 14th and 15th centuries, but 10 sub-temples remain. The grounds house a number of important structures, including a bell cast in 1255 (designated a National Treasure), a zen garden designed by the 14th century landscaping master, Muso Kokushi, and Butsu-den, a hall displaying a statue of Jizo Bodhisattva. The path up the hill behind the temple grounds provides a good view over Kencho-ji and the Kamakura area.
LocationKenchoji, 8 Yamanouchi, Kamakura, Kanagawa 247-8525
« Google Maps »
A 20-minute walk from Kita-Kamakura Station on the JR Yokosuka Line or a 25-minute walk from Kamakura Station