A park in Nagasaki built in remembrance of the victims of the atomic bomb dropped on the city on 9 August, 1945. Nagasaki Peace Park is one spot in a wider area dedicated to the atomic bombing that includes the Hypocenter Cenotaph, the Nagasaki National Peace Memorial Hall for the Atomic Bomb Victims, and the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum. All are within a 10 minute walk of each other.
The Nagasaki Peace Park most prominent structure is the Peace Statue, a 10 meter high sculpture built in 1955 by Kitamura Seibo, a sculptor from Nagasaki. The statue’s right-hand is raised to the sky, pointing to the threat of atomic bombs, while his left hand extends out towards the horizon to signify mediation. The Fountain of Peace stands in front of the statue.