Oyama Shrine (尾山神社, oyama-jinja) is a shrine dedicated to Maeda Toshiie of the Maeda clan that would go on to have a significant impact on the development of Kanazawa over the coming centuries. It was constructed in 1599 on the year of Toshiie’s death by his successor, Maeda Toshinaga. Originally built on nearby Mount Utatsu (now the grounds of the City Park), it was moved to its present location in 1873 and its named was changed from Utatsu Hachimangu Shrine to Oyama Shrine.
The gate is he most notable features of the shrine. Built in 1875, it was designed by a Dutch architect and fuses Japanese, Chinese, and European styles, with stained glass windows on the third floor. It was designated an Important Cultural Asset in 1950. Also lookout for the stone carving of Maeda Toshiie’s wife, Omatsu, on a large rock in the grounds, a statue of Toshiie on horseback, as well as the quiet Japanese-style garden.