Yokoamicho Park (横網町公園) was opened by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government in 1930 to commemorate those who lost their lives in the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923. The site of the park was one to which many evacuated in the aftermath of the earthquake and the subsequent fires that reduced much of the city to ashes.
In the middle of the park stands a Memorial Hall. This was originally called the “Earthquake Memorial Hall” but following the devastating air raids of the war it was used to remember those who died during this next disaster for the city, and was renamed “Tokyo Memorial Hall” in 1951. A service is held on 10 March each year—the worst day of the air raids on Tokyo. A similar memorial service is held on 1 September each year to remember those who died in the Great Kanto Earthquake. The Tokyo Memorial Hall is free to enter and open 9:00-16:30.