Former villa of the British Embassy which was used as a summer residence until 2008. It was donated to Tochigi Prefecture in 2010 before opening to the general public as the “British Embassy Villa Memorial Park” in July 2016. The villa was designed by British diplomat and Japanologist Ernest Satow and construction finished in 1896. Satow was known for his love of Okunikko and he even wrote the first English-language guidebook to the area, “A Guide Book to Nikko”, which was published in 1875.

You May Also Like

Hachiko Memorial Statue

A bronze statue of a small dog by the name of Hachiko that is one of Tokyo’s most well-known landmarks.

Toki no Kane Bell Tower

Toki no Kane Bell Tower is one of the most prominent structures in the warehouse district. It rings four times a day at 6am, noon, 3pm, and 6pm.

Higashi Chaya District

Edo period pleasure district with many historical buildings. The largest and the most popular chaya (“tea house”) districts in Kanazawa.

Tokyo Wan Kannon Statue

Gigantic statue of the Kannon (Goddess of Mercy) built on top of a hill in Futtsu, Chiba. The…